Bed bugs are a serious concern these days. A recent survey released by the National Pest Management Association reported that one out of five Americans has had a bed bug infestation in their home or knows someone who has encountered bed bugs at home or in a hotel. Whether you have an active infestation or are at high risk of an infestation (you or someone in your family travels frequently, someone in the household sleeps away at college or boarding school, you live in multi-unit family housing, you have had an infestation in the past, etc.), it makes sense to protect yourself and protection begins with your mattress and box spring, the two places where bed bugs strike most frequently.
Finding the best bed bug mattress cover can be a good first step to prevention, early detection of bed bugs and also an excellent part of an ongoing bed bug program. You will quickly find out that not all mattress covers are created equal. Here is a list of things to consider in your search:
• Determine what is most important for you to protect: the person sleeping on the mattress, the mattress itself or both. Some covers offer protection to just the mattress; encasements are one example of mattress-only protection. Just as their name suggests an encasement fully encases the mattress preventing bed bugs from infesting it. This does not prevent bed bugs from infesting on the surface(s) of the encasement where people sleep, it simply protects the mattress. Encasements are also available for the box spring, a major repository for bed bugs. However, they are highly prone to ripping and tearing given the sharp edges associated with bed frames. If you are looking for protection for both the mattress and the person sleeping on it then an active mattress liner, one specially formulated to kill bed bugs like ActiveGuard® Mattress Liners, will be a better choice.
• If you are looking for a cover liner that kills bed bugs then you have a couple of options. Active mattress liners that are specially formulated with an insecticide will kill bed bugs typically within 72 hours. Encasements will also kill bed bugs typically over a one year period, bed bugs trapped inside of an encasement will starve.
• If ease of installation is important to you in cases where you have a large number of beds to cover or installation will be reliant on a student or even the elderly then consider a liner that can be installed as easily as a fitted sheet. Encasements typically require two people for installation and require lifting of the mattress and/or box spring.
• The best bed bug mattress covers do not require ongoing maintenance, but rather offer you the ability to set it and forget it. Some mattress protection products on the market, like enecasements, are meant to trap bed bugs inside and require ongoing inspections to ensure that rips or tears have not allowed bed bugs to escape.
• Some homeowners may prefer a product that will serve a dual purpose like killing both bed bugs and dust mites at the same time.
Finding the best bed bug mattress cover for you and your home’s needs doesn’t have to be difficult. We hope the list provided above offers you a good starting point to help you make an informed decision. For more information about bed bugs, to learn more about ActiveGuard® Mattress Liners or purchase our liners directly, visit us online today.